QuickBooks Runtime error can happen suddenly while performing crucial work in the software. After this error pops up, you see some messages on the screen:
- “Qbw32.exe – Memory could not be read”
- “Runtime Error – Runtime terminated in a distinctive way – call support”.
In this blog, we discuss the specifics of the QuickBooks Runtime issue along with effective solutions to rectify it. Check out the full article for detailed troubleshooting guidelines.
Causes For QuickBooks Runtime Issue
The QuickBooks Runtime Error is caused by the following reasons:
- Corrupted or damaged Company files.
- Installation of QuickBooks is not complete. QuickBooks.
- Error when using the windows capability mode.
- Additionally, QBW.INI File is corrupted or damaged.
- Issues with transferring QuickBooks to your new PC.
Fixation Steps to Resolve QuickBooks RunTime Problem
There are many different methods to eliminate the runtime error. You only need to select the one below that will work best for you. It is also recommended to create a backup of your file and all-important folders and files to ensure that you don’t lose any data. Lastly, be sure to follow the troubleshooting procedures in the following sequence.
Solution 1: Run The Software Without Company File
- First, resolve any C++-related errors.
- Now ensure that QBW.exe does not run in the background.
- Push “Click ‘Ctrl + Alt + Delete” and then hover to “Processes”.
- If you find an unfinished process that has the name QBW.exe, then right-tap on it and choose “End Task”.
- Click Yes to confirm the request.
- Right-tap the QB icon while pushing the “CTRL” key.
- Tap “Open” and it will open the company file instantly.
- Examine if it resolved the issue. And if you still get the same error, go to the next troubleshooting step.
Solution 2: Quickbooks Program Diagnostic Tool
This is an excellent QB tool that assists in diagnosing Quickbooks Runtime Error code. By using this, you can rectify the error easily. The steps are:
- Firstly, visit the Intuit site and locate the link to the QuickBooks Hub tool download.
- Now download the exe file. Tap on it.
- A wizard for installation will be displayed.
- Accept the terms and conditions by following the screen instructions.
- After that, open the tool hub and move to its dashboard.
- Navigate to “Program Problems”.
- Moving on, tap on “QB Program Diagnostic Tool”.
- A window will appear where you must select the option “Yes”.
- Additionally, the scanning process will initiate within a matter of minutes. After a few minutes, the scanning and repairing process will be over.
- Finally, restart your computer.
Solution 3: Renaming QBW.INI File
If you’re still stuck with the QuickBooks Runtime Error then rename the file “QBW.INI”. To change the QBW.INI filename, follow the steps explained below.
- Find “Windows File Search Tool” and locate your particular file there. Or search it manually.
- Once you’ve found that QBW.INI file, right-tap on it and choose “Rename”.
- Then, change the name by adding.OLD at its end. For example QBWS.OLD.
- Then, hit “Enter” to get the changes saved.
Solution 4: Make Modifications in Load Startup Items
- Firstly go to “Windows”.
- Now tap on “Start”. Choose “Run”.
- The run command window will be displayed.
- Enter “MSConfig” there and hit “Enter”.
- Navigate to the window “System Configuration Utility” then choose “Selective Startup” via “General”.
- From “Selective Startup”, unmark “Load Startup Items”. Then hit ‘OK’.
- Thereafter, reboot your system and then reopen the software.
- Make sure you have completed your payroll setup and then start the configuration process via the Run command.
- Moving on, go to the “Selective Startup” screen via “System Configuration Window.
- Mark the option “Load Startup Items” to switch the system back to normal mode.
- In the end, restart your system.
Solution 5: Exit All Opened Windows
Another method for fixing Quickbooks Runtime Error is to close all the opened windows. The steps are:
- Hold Ctrl+Alt+Del to verify that QBW.EXE has been launched on your system.
- Check that QBW.EXE has not started, and then right-tap on the QB icon.
- Press “Ctrl” and hold it till you tap on “Open”.
- Then hold the Alt Key to access the screen that says “No Company Open”.
- Keep “ALT” pressed and access your company file.
This process typically opens your company’s files and prevents the other windows from being
Also read- Quickbooks Error 6189 and 816
Solution 6: Restart your System
If the above options aren’t successful in resolving this issue, try restarting your system. The steps are:
- Simply tap on “Windows”. Then click the arrow of “Shut Down”.
- Thereafter choose “Restart”.
- After it restarts, open QuickBooks one more time.
Repair QuickBooks Runtime Issue Abnormal Program Termination
The reason you are seeing this error is that you are trying to access the files which are offline and accessible from a mapped drive. To stop the runtime error from happening in the future, you’ll need to take a look at one of the following solutions:
- You will either be required to return your drive online.
- Create your drive locally in the event of shared networks.
- To make your files accessible offline, then simply copy the entire shared file on your desktop. This will enable you to keep your files accessible even when you’re not online.
- Do not worry about the changes that have been made, as they will be updated when you are online.
Some Last Words
After a lengthy discussion about QuickBooks Runtime Error, we dug out the most effective solutions to repair it. These are experts’ recommended methods and repair the error within minutes. Just apply these solutions in order and don’t skip any step as it can affect the entire troubleshooting process.